Thursday, July 16, 2009

R.I.P. Mansi- the could have been ACJ graduate

I cant remember how many times in the past 3 months I ve fallen sick...
Well, for the records, if anyone s maintaining them, I am sick, yet again...
What do I write with a running nose, a burning throat and an aching face heated by some fever?

It has been on my mind to write abt this for a long time now...ever since I took that disastrous entrance exam in an attempt to get myself a seat in Asian College of Journalism, by far the country's best J-School, right here in my beauty city, Chennai!!

The paper had 2 sections: English and General knowledge. I owe it to my considerable prowess (:D) in the language, which is the reason why am now part of the ACJ Family!
The GK paper left me in such a state of demoralisation, I wouldnt want to accept it openly...
Even if I had no clue what the answer was to a particular question, I had the audacity to write something there on the space provided. On embarrassing retrospection, I found out they were so way off the mark, I had myself as well as my frends splitting into long spells of uncontrollable laughter...

That day evening, at home, I told myself and my family to just forget abt me making it to ACJ...
Then the list of ppl selected for the interview level was out...and MIRACULOUSLY (Im not exaggerating, here!!!!) my name was there on the list...it was jus too good to believe, and that is why I say, my English will save me in life :D

One day after the list was out, to which both Asha and Rashmi (my best frends in coll) had made it, the three of us were discussing...yeah...ACJ!!! They talked abt this mail that they had been sent from the management asking them to appear for the interview on a specified date and other details. I didnt remember having gotten any mail from ACJ...and I began to genuinely panic: What if my name had been put up on the list by mistake?, I wondered miserably...

On checking my mail Id again, I had received the mail two whole days earlier and the dyslexic thing Im becomin nowadays, I had missed it!!!!! Ahhhh, the RELEIFFFFF!!!!! :D:D

Interview Day:
After spending two whole days in the company of nothing but newspapers and news channels, I arrived at the Centre quite well prepared. Im sure I was scaring a few ppl with my constant discussion of possible questions and promptly answering them myself a few times or torturing my friends into answering a few other times!!!

My turn to face the panel:
I walked into the room with my meticulously prepared portfolio (which they didnt so much as glance at :|) The questions began:

Q: I see, you've got the Best Outgoing Student Award from Journalism Department in your college...

A: Yes, Sir. I have. (Smiling modestly :p)

Q: I see from your application form, you live opposite Valluvarkottam. What can u tell us abt it?

A: (I gave a whole host of details known to me )

Q: Who is the architect of Valluvarkottam?

A: (Mentally: $%#&@(#&) Errr...I dont know, Sir...

Q: Do you know, Thirukural?

ASIDE: For those o you who ve no clue wat this place is: It is a charriot like structure built as a tribute to the Tamil poet, Thiruvalluvar. It houses a statue of the poet-saint. He is the author of the book, Thirukural, which has been translated into several world languages and provides guidelines on how man should lead his life. It is acclaimed to be relevant even today, though it was composed many several years ago.

A: (Mentally, again: WTF is this!!!!) Yes, Sir. I had Tamil as m second language in school.

Q: Recite one for us

A: (Thoroughly baffled by the direction this interview was taking) * I recited the first kural, popularised by Balachandar's Kavithalaya title music :P *

Q: Why Do you think Karunanidhi (who is the current CM of Tamilnadu and the one who built this monument) suddenly built a charriot like structure for Thiruvalluvar?

A: (Openly going %$&(&*$%&^) I....don't know, Sir.

Q: You seem to have covered the 'Margazhi Season' quite extensively. What do you know abt it?

A: (I tell them whatever I knew about the season and its popular kachcheris)

Q: How many concerts are there in a seson?

A: I dont know, Sir. (I wasnt even bothering to get baffled now :|)

After such questions which brought my morale to an all time "high", I was asked a couple of questions to which I thankfully knew the answers...how come??? Because they were questions abt news in the past weeks!!!! That is how I expected the entire session to progress!!!

Q: What is your area of interest in journalism?

A: (I think this terrible answer was a product of the complete demoralisation I underwent a few minutes back) Social INTEREST, Sir.

ASIDE: There is no such area called Social Interest. Its Social Issues :|

Q: Can you tell us what u mean by the term, "social interest"?

There...that was my undoing I think. My area of interest is NOT social issues, least of all social INTEREST!!!!!!!!!!!! My interests lie in POLITICS!!!!!!! :((

I crapped so badly after that...I dont have the heart to embarass myself in such public glare by recounting what I crapped there, trying to explain what the hell ever I meant.

They finally said: That's it Aruna. You can go.

As, I was getting up...the Dean, Mr. Sreekumar Menon went : "Wait wait!!! We need to ask you the mandatory questions!!!!

I freaked out on hearing this: "What???? The interview begins only NOW?????????", screamed the voice inside my head....

Then they asked:
Will you be requiring hostel accomodation, Aruna?

I must have sighed quite audibly with relief...and that just drew more smirks from the "PANEL"

A: No, Sir. I wouldnt be requiring it. (Bcoz I wouldnt be getting admission int he frst place, I said in my mind voice...and trooped out of the room.

The next one week before the results were out...I put myself thru hell...I dont know why it made such a big difference...getting into this place...it DID!!!!

And finally, the results came:
NAME STREAM
Aruna Television

:D :D :D :D :D :D I just couldnt help feeling happy to a fault!!!!!

Now, its a almost a week since college began...the very frst day began on a tragic note, with one of the girls falling to her death from the hostel terrace the very day she checked into it...

I dedicate this post to that lost life...Mansi.

12 comments:

Nikhil Menon said...

Yay! that was typical pseudo-nerd ishhtylle.. :P an enjoyable read though I felt u were destined to make it into ACJ.. and I am not taking NO for an answer here.. :)

Take care aruna..best luck wid ur classes.. :)

Nikhil

Arv said...

wat a comedy :)

and u r telling only now :P

he hee...

and am hearing lots of things already :P

take care and enjoy these times :)

cheers...

p.s. God bless the soul of Mansi...

Thoorika said...

May the soul of Mansi's rest in peace! Felt really bad on reading that!

Anyway Congratulations!!! :)

Aruna Iyer said...

@Nikhil: Haha yeah I guess I was destined to get into ACJ :)
Thanks!!
And Happy journey for later today evening...:)

Aruna Iyer said...

@Arvind: Hehe yeah, I know I shud have written abt it earlier...:)

And wat things are u hearing already???? Very suspect that comment is :D
And I ve a hunch ur source is Wolfie!!! DONT BELIEVE HER!!!! :D

And yeah...God bless that poor soul...:(

Aruna Iyer said...

@Thoorika: Yeah thoorika...I know that awful feeling u get when u think of all the dreams she and her family would have had for her...
All crushed all snuffed out in a minute...:(

And thanks!!! :)

Anonymous said...

did you care to know why she died ?

any reason, you know or anyone else knows ?

Aruna Iyer said...

ironmonkey: Yeah I did...she apparently fell thru a duct on the outside of the hostel building that was put there to cover pipes running out of the building...meaning she must hav bin quite tiny and puny...

As to WHY she died...well we can only assume she couldnt see anythng in the dark and fell accidentally thru it...I hope it wasnt suicide...:(

Anonymous said...

a'ight, that sounds more like an accident than suicide...

on a side note, we ARE witnessing such stuff to learn from it, to face it, and to move on. best of all, it teaches us to be safe (at times), what's life after all if you're always guarded ;))

Deepen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
penakkaaran said...

hello aruna iyer, how about the placements of ACJ

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com